Our Town Portsmouth
About Our Town
The RI Public Broadcasting System (RIPBS) has selected Portsmouth for a one-hour feature show called “Our Town”. The show will showcase the town in the eyes of the citizens. RIPBS has solicited ideas for the show and requests that Portsmouth citizens document their life and experiences in Portsmouth through video.
The Our Town Web Site ( www.RIPBS.org/OurTown ) says, “Our Town is a community project with Rhode Island PBS where neighbors become filmmakers and tell the stories of Our Town. Part fund-raiser, part community builder, part historical and cultural documentary, and part “day-in-the-life” video scrapbook, Our Town shares with viewers the local legends, historical happenings, and backyard secrets of a town and its villages – untold or uncelebrated stories that capture the essence of the town. ”
Ideas and questions can be addressed by calling Our Town Project Director Jodi Mesolella at 401-222-3636, ext. 209, or Our Town Producer Margie O’Brien at 401-222-3636, ext. 225, or reach them by email at email@example.com .
Although anyone can go directly to RIPBS for questions or to submit material, Portsmouth has established a core group to try to help coordinate the effort, try to avoid any duplication and to pool resources for the effort.
Για να διασφαλίσουμε ότι παρέχετε στους ασθενείς σας φαρμακευτικά σκευάσματα άριστης ποιότητας, στη mylan χρησιμοποιούμε προηγμένα συστήματα ελέγχου και παρακολούθησης, ώστε να εξασφαλίσουμε ότι τα προϊόντα μας πληρούν τα κριτήρια αποδοχής που έχουν θεσπιστεί από τους οργανισμούς Απολαύστε Viagra 100mg χωρίς συνταγή στην Ελλάδα τυποποίησης σε όλον τον κόσμο. Ο ιατρός πρέπει να εκτιµήσει τους ενδεχόµενους κινδύνους, από τη σεξουαλική δραστηριότητα, σε ασθενείς που πάσχουν από καρδιαγγειακή νόσο. Αυτό οφείλεται στην “ταχεία χημική απορρόφηση” αυτού του νέου τύπου, προσθέτοντας πολύ μεγαλύτερη ευελιξία στο σχέδιο θεραπείας ενός συγκεκριμένου ατόμου.
Work in Progress
Here we will update work in progress or already completed
- The story of Louis Escobar (Doug Smith) (Post Production Complete, Thumb Drive delivered to RIPBS)
- Portsmouth Historical Society (Mike Pagliarani) (Post Production Complete. DVD delivered to RIPBS)
- Portsmouth Community Theater (Cindy Killavey) (Post Production Complete. DVD delivered to RIPBS)
- Greenvale Vineyards ( Nancy Parker-Wilson (Submitted via TDAC FTP).
- Bristol Ferry Town Commons (Doug Smith) (Submitted via TDAC FTP).
- Portsmouth Dog Park (Bunny Miller ((Submitted via TDAC FTP).
- Coaching at Greenvale (Gary Gump) (Submitted via TDAC FTP).
- Portsmouth This week TV Show ((Submitted via Thumb Drive to RI PBS).
- Anne Hutchinson (Rich Talipsky) (Submitted via DVD to RI PBS (and via TDAC FTP))
- If Walls Could Talk ( Gloria Schmidt) ((Submitted via Thumb drive to RI PBS).
- Portsmouth Polo (Rich Talipsky) US vs UK Aug 2013 (Submitted via TDAC FTP)
- Have a Heart (Earth Day 375th Celebration) (Rich Talipsky) (Submitted via TDAC FTP)
- Polar Dive Jan 2103 (Rich Talipsky) (Submitted via TDAC FTP)
- 375 Final Dive Dec 2013 (Rich Talipsky) (Submitted via TDAC FTP)
Ideas submitted to RIPBS
(Click on title for YouTube link)
- 375th 1 Minute public Service announcement Nov 2013
- Compact Commemoration Ceremony – Mar 2013
- Portsmouth 4th of July (Float Making, parade and fireworks at Escobar Farm) – July 2013
- Blue Star Memorial Ceremony – Aug 2013
- 375th Parade – Aug 2013
- 375th Gala Weekend Highlights – Sep 2013
- he Ghostly Witness Play Oct 2013
- 375th Final Dive – Dec 2013
- Jim Garman Speaks about Portsmouth History – April 2013
- Portsmouth VA Mayor Visits Patriot’s Park – Aug 2013
Work in Progress (not yet submitted to RIPBS)
- Aerial Views of Portsmouth (Anne Fiore working)
- Portsmouth HS Band (Mike P. and Connie Working)
- Sakonnet Greenway (Chuck Allott and Katherine Gagliano working)
How to Submit
NONE OF THE SUBJECTS BELOW WILL HAPPEN BY THEMSELVES. FIND A SUBJECT YOU WOULD LIKE TO PURSUE AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.
THIS SITE IS JUST FOR COORDINATION TO MINIMIZE DUPLICATION OF EFFORT
For General Info on Our Town go to the RIPBS Our Town Web Site
How to get started:
- Come up with an idea and a “story” – send your commitment to help with a story to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will list you above as working that subject. Let us know what types of help you need (videography, camera equipment, editing etc.) and we will try to steer you to who can help.
- Draft a “Story Board” – A “Story Board” is a summary of “scenes” you would use to tell your story. It can simply be a list of “scenes” in a draft Log (see “shooting log” below)
- Take your videos (RI PBS will have a technical help session in Sept, but go to the RIPBS Our Town “For Filmakers” tab for more info )
- Be sure you keep a “shooting log” of your video that has the following:
- Name and Phone
- Title for each scene
- short explanation or content description of each scene
- time for each scene (e.g., “number of seconds” or “time start and time end”)
We started a discussion group to toss around ideas and coordinate production
To join the discussion group, please e-mail email@example.com and we will include you in any discussions.
ONLY THOSE SUBJECTS MENTIONED ABOVE ARE BEING WORKED. NONE OF THE BELOW SUBJECTS WILL BE DONE BY THEMSELVES. PLEASE DON’T SEND US A MESSAGE SAYING “SOMEBODY SHOULD DO SOMETHING ON ____________” . WE WILL LIST THE SUBJECT BELOW BUT SOMEONE HAS TO PICK UP THE BALL.
Here are some important people who might be highlighted. They include:
- Anne Hutchinson
- Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt
- Reginald Vanderbilt
- Moses and HAC Taylor
- The Barstows of Greenvale
- Julia Ward Howe
- Sarah Eddy
- James Parker (MOH recipient)
- George Mendonsa (the kissing sailor)
- George Parker Jr.
- Ron Machtley
- Ambassador Middendorf
- Rear Admiral Joe Strasser (retired former President of Naval War College)
- Thomas Cornell
- Mike Cloud ( NFL Patriots Superbowl winner)
- Ryan Westmorland (Red Sox )
- Ade Bethune
- Betty Hutton
- Louis Escobar
- Native American Ancestors
Some of the broad topics areas that warrant consideration are:
Aerial Photography (Anne Fiore will coordinate)
- Public Schools
- Private Schools
- PHS Band Mike P and Connie have the lead)
The Fire Department (Its evolution for a total volunteer force to its current professional force)
What is unique about Portsmouth?
- Stone walls
- The light houses of Prudence and Hog Islands
- The “Seven islands”
- One Room Schoolhouse
- Phillip Sherman House
- The Horse Barn
- Anne Hutchinson
- Domino the French Bulldog (Founder of French Bulldogs)
- Escobar Tree Farm
- Escobar Corn Maze
- George and Mary Mendonca – Green Animals
- Turbine and Green Energy
- Glen Farm
- Maplewood Farm (History of Potato Chips) (“Judy’s story”)
- Agricultural diversity
- The unique qualities of Portsmouth soil
- Rhody Fresh and Escobar Farm (the story of Louis)
- From Sheep to Alpacas
- The evolution of farms (Yankee Farms, Gentlemen’s Farms, Portuguese Farms)
- The vineyards (Greenvale, the Barstows, the Parkers)
- The new Flower Farm
- The emergence of Aquaculture
- Using mules
- Buttermilk and the Supreme Court
- Potter and the Seed Company (Anthony’s Seed Farm)
- Escobar Tree Farm
- Glen and Valcluse Farm
- Cattle and Hay
- Pumkin Patch
- U-Pick Strawberries
Water Systems and Aquifers
Hiding from the Indians
Ferrying Cows to Fogland
The Navy and our Veterans
- PT Boat training and JFK
- SecNav Middendorf
- The emergence of a Marine Industry
- Medal of Honor winner
- The people who fought in the revolution and the battle of RI
- Civil War Hospital
- Coast Guard Founding
- Underwater Archeology
- Kathy Abass
- Wreck off Fairview Ave.
- Friends Meeting House
- Portsmouth Camp Meeting – Quakers
Coaching – Carriage history
- Sandy Point Stables
Glen Manor House
- American Band Concert
The UK Connection
- Portsmouth Atlantic Compact
Tractoring Santa at Christmas
Industry (from agriculture to coal mining to the defense industry)
The Revolutionary War
From Ferries to Bridges
Land Trust – Open Space
- Greenway and the trail
Roberta Stevens noted the following.
Just a note that to my mind the present list seems to “historical” to me—
I don’t think the rest of the state’s watchers want too much of a history
lesson- just as it applies to the uniqueness of Portsmouth within the
state to the in the more recent past perhaps. Like Raython as a leader in
sonar and underwater systems in the 1960s and 70s. Or apple farm land being
sold but now the remaining farms using agro tourism. Winery, Maize, pick
your own. Or the multiple locations of exceptional marinas, where sail
makers and sail boat builders are on the same area that was once was where
PT boats were made.
Just a thought- as a native Rhode Islander I think it best to focus on what
is different here. All rural R.I. has stone walls, native heritage etc.
(some far more important then here). No one else has Polo for example..